July 24, 2014, 04:18:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Internal storage suggestions  (Read 3325 times)
Diveman
Wheel Chocker

« on: June 18, 2011, 06:16:43 PM »

Hello folks,

I have recently taken delivery of a 2012 Surveyor Sport SP192T.  We are thrilled and have lots of camping planned. 

Here is the question:  Where do you put everything?  I am coming from the Popup world and having all this space is overwhelming!   Wink   I would love to hear where people put the stuff that they amass for the camping trip.  What do you put in the front pass through, street side storage, curbside storage, inside the camper etc.

Really would like to see pictures of your set up to help me get some ideas.  We are heading on our first shakedown at a park about 10 minutes from the house (Toronto's only urban campground - Glen Rouge) and will start to take notes there.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike
 Hybrid Bronze                                         Jeep
2012 Surveyor Sport SP192T & 2005 Grand Cherokee
JT
Handle Cranker

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 07:37:30 AM »

Its going to depend on what works for you ,we dont have a passthru but we also have plenty of storage i have my chairs and umbrellas in the curb side and grill and tools on the other side. inside will depend on the layout of the kitchen .i have my elec cords and sewer hookups in the back compartment cuz they are closest to the elec and sewer .. bring a tape measurer and a tablet and get ready for a few trips to town to buy totes ,hooks and all kinds of stuff to organize all ofthe compartments..towel racks ,it will take awhile to figure it all out,we have had ours a month and are still trying to get it all straightened out.. have fun

2008 Coachmen Clipper 127ST & 2011 GMC Sierra EX Cab 5.3
Nights camped
2009  16    Tent/Popup
2010  21     Popup
2011  30     Popup/Hybrid
2012  11     Hybrid
2014           We Bought a Popup
dadmomh
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:47:29 AM »

We have only minimal outside storage, so will mention our inside storage ideas.  Highly recommend the vinyl shelf liner - keeps things from sliding all over.  I'm a fan of using small plastic containers or the little "crate" looking things at Walmart - about $1 ea.  Keeps all the little stuff confined.  DH uses the cabinet just inside the door of our 23SS for his tools, fix-it stuff, dump station stuff, etc and use the plastic shoe boxes to contain all that.  Rolls of paper towels can be your best friend - they are lightweight, use to fill open spaces and help to keep things where you put them.  Our wardrobe is a double door and we use one side for pantry items in the stacking vinyl-covered wire baskets - also Walmart.  We didn't want to put holes into the closet walls, so the shelves are held in place with sticky-back velcro.  Canned goods and heavier things on the bottom, chips and paper plates up top.  For a nice appearance and to serve the purpose, bought a couple of the oak magazine holders from CW.  One holds camping recipes and is right at the kitchen area, the other for magazines or catalogs.  Easy to find.  Also available is a nice oak spice rack which doubles to hold small things in the bathroom just above the sink.  After 5 seasons, just realized that the single width silverware trays work great in the medicine cabinet to corral all the little stuff that falls out first time you open the door.  Very handy!  

On our way through N'ville on our trip in a couple of weeks we're going to stop for one more of the magazine racks.  This may sound insignificant - until you find you really need it - but it will go right by the entry door with our ICE information in a red folder.  Please, everyone, make a list of your family's medical history, current meds, allergies, Dr contact info and In Case of Emergency info and don't leave the driveway without it.  We found this out the hard way and now it's "required" in the ROO.  Recently heard that ICE info needs to be in your cell phone, also.  Done!  Got a smidge off topic, but it's important.    

dadmomh Tennesee
dadh-'44 Wink
momh-'45  Shy
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy!
Biscuit and Lily now 8 mo old...and GROWING
We support responsibility - Spay/Neuter
2003 F-150 Crew Cab Ford w/Blue Ox 1000 and Prodigy
2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
Still "hybriders" at heart
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 08:19:41 AM »

I would love to hear where people put the stuff that they amass for the camping trip.

Therein lies the trick ... leave most of that "stuff" at home! Clown Wink  Our 24' travel trailer has a ton of storage yet we only take what we really need, what we'll really use ... anything that comes along has to earn it's keep, otherwise it finds a new home in our garage. Wink  Drop by my Oz Mods Gallery to see what we store in our camper(s) and where. Smile

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
Benzville
Handle Cranker

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »

any ideas on the best place to store and how to store the gas grill the shamrock 23ss comes with

Dave and Debbie
Jackson our Welsh Corgi
2011 Forest River 23ss
Lakeville, MN
ilovecamping
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 08:09:47 PM »

Benzville-DH says he carries ours in the back of our Suburban.  Hope that helps.

Donna & Tom
2 DD's, 1 DS, 4 DGC, 3 DGDog
2000 Suburban LT 1500 4X4
2011 Shamrock 23ss

2006 ngts camped-65
2007 ngts camped-64
2008 ngts camped-63
2009 ngts camped-14
2010 ngts camped-21
2011 ngts camped-14
http://community.webshots.com/user/ilovecamping1?vhost=community
Juice
Handle Cranker

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:51:46 PM »

We stored our stock gas grill up in the front passenger side compartment.  This year, the gas grill was replaced by a Camp Chef with grill box that we carry inside the trailer in a carry bag.  Here's a quick run down of where/what we store:
-Chairs & power cord under dinette bench (access from outside, drivers side)
-Lanterns, fluids, marshmellow sticks, fire tools and misc tools in front passenger side compartment
-Games, hose, sewer hose connection in back compartment
-3 bikes and a trike in back of camper bungeed up against the camp chef
-screened shelter, Kesyus Portable Hammock, fold up table under dinette table
-2 zero gravity chairs, small girls bike and blankets/pillows on dinette table
-TV (stored in box), foam mattress top, step ladder & cooler stored between couch and dinette
-Carpet bungeed to our bumper
-Wood (in tubs) on our Hitch Carrier mounted to the trailer (we have a welded on hitch receiver)
-Black/Gray portable water tank on roof rack on TV

Before we leave on a trip, we stock the cabinets, fridge and freezer full of food, stick the duffle at the entrance and take off. 

Me ('72), DW ('76), DS ('02), DD ('05), DD ('08)
Furry Friends: Bichon & Maltese
HTT: Shamrock 233S
TV:  '03 Ford Expedition
shum
PUXaholic

Real trucks have NO spark plugs!

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 02:52:55 AM »

I have a huge pass-through storage area under our bunkhouse and we also use two of the unused bunks for internal storage.

Seriously our KZ has a great deal of internal and external storage including a rear truck box I put on a few years ago because you just can't have enough storage    Wink

Now _and Us may suggest to leave the "non-essentials" at home but since I don't know what those are I bring everything I might need!  What I have noticed over the years is that in my case anyway bringing everything doesn't do anything good or bad to you rig regarding fuel mileage so there really is no reason to leave stuff at home.  Bring everything you want or feel you might need.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 4x4 CC PSD Ford
2007 KZ Outdooorsman 2505 QSS-F TravTlr Green
shum
SwingingBonnie DW
DS & DD
"don't panic"  Douglas Adams
Don't Dwell on the Past
FYBO II, III & IV!
Ontario Provincial Parks Advocate
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 03:56:48 AM »

any ideas on the best place to store and how to store the gas grill the shamrock 23ss comes with

I'd suggest you park your grill in a Rubbermaid bin with a lid ... the bin will be easy to store and will prevent grease smells from permeating the area where you're storing the grill.  Where you'd store it depends on what storage space you may have available in either your camper or TV ... I store my Weber Baby Q in this Rubbermaid bin which in turn travels in the back of my Avalanche, out of sight, out of mind but instantly available whenever I want it. Approve

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
The Sod Father
PUXaholic

YO! The Philadelphia metropolitan area.

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »

Now _and Us may suggest to leave the "non-essentials" at home but since I don't know what those are I bring everything I might need!  What I have noticed over the years is that in my case anyway bringing everything doesn't do anything good or bad to you rig regarding fuel mileage so there really is no reason to leave stuff at home.  Bring everything you want or feel you might need.
Like Shum, I carry a lot of stuff in my trailer, but it is stuff that has been culled down over the years.  When we traded in our Rockwood, we lost storage space so I was forced to cull the amount of stuff we took even more.  It was a liberating experience.  There was no need to take a back up propane stove when the trailer has two and most of my cooking is done on a large 3 burner outfitter stove.  There was no need for a spare 2 man tent.  And I didn't really need enough seating for 8 people where the trailer will sleep a max of 6.  I also found that the huge tarp I carried for 3 years was never used - only the smaller blue tarp that I also carried.  And a 2nd crock pot was just silly.

Again, I still carry a lot of crap.  The front pass through holds an EZ Up, awning mat, 4 bag chairs, trash can, kindling, a bunch of rope, extension cords, 30A extension, Weber Q220, spare 20lb propane tank, 2 fresh water jugs, a collapsible luggage cart (for the jugs), 1 Aquatainer for grey water, flags and flag poles, a 50' white hose, 25' white hose, assorted fresh water goodies, an 8' long 2x6 that I borrowed from Big Jake and never returned, etc.  On the bumper I mounted a 35 gallon Rubbermaid action packer for all of my leveling and chocking crap.  Zero gravity chairs ride inside in custom make bags.  I also keep my fishing stuff, board games, day packs, appliances and foil pans under the dinette seats.  Not to mention a fully stocked liquor cabinet.  Like I said, lots of crap. 

When I unloaded my Rockwood to trade it in, I was stunned at how much stuff we had accumulated since our pop up days.  Same goes from when we lived in our townhouse 20 years ago vs our current home.  As you get older, you tend to accumulate more crap.  And that would explain why even though I have a large attic, basement and two shed, I can still can only use one bay of our 2 car garage.

USA    Greek Flag    Pennsylvania
Me '63
DW '66, DD '93, DD '97, Pluto '02 Golden Retriever
2011 Keystone Bullet 31BHPR TravTrl Long Blue= Pickup White'14 Ford F-350 Lariat PSD

Held together with a Hensley Arrow

"The Rock" - 2007 Rockwood 8317SS
 Hybrid 2007 Shamrock 233 PopUp Green'03.5 Coleman Utah CP

http://community.webshots.com/user/thesodfather
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks!"

- Sir Winston Churchill
Diveman
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 04:18:50 AM »

I would love to hear where people put the stuff that they amass for the camping trip.

Therein lies the trick ... leave most of that "stuff" at home! Clown Wink  Our 24' travel trailer has a ton of storage yet we only take what we really need, what we'll really use ... anything that comes along has to earn it's keep, otherwise it finds a new home in our garage. Wink  Drop by my Oz Mods Gallery to see what we store in our camper(s) and where. Smile

WOW!  Thanks for posting the link to your pictures. You have some amazing ideas that, if you don't mind, I am going to copy.

homeagaincda
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »

Manufacturers don't really provide useful storage, just storage. I made several modifications that improved the utility of the available storage space.

I had a passthrough across the front of my Dakota hybrid, accessible from each side of the trailer, but not from inside.  I cut an opening right in the centre of the front wall (inside the trailer) and installed a cabinet door.  I then divided the long passthrough into thirds with a 1/4 plywood divider. 1/3 accessible from outside drivers side access panel, 1/3 from outside passenger side, and 1/3 from inside the trailer.  We store blankets, etc in the inside centre third, and outdoor items in the ohter sections (tool box, water hose, etc.) 
When I installed the dividers, I left a 2" x 2" cutover at the top front corner, so I could insert any long narrow item that would not otherwise fit in the shorter compartment (ie: the long wire hook used to pull down the awning)
Much more useful storage.

We have a counter high pantry cupboard next to the trailer door.  Tall cabinet door, shelving inside. I installed another shelf, 2" down from the top, that can slide in and out.  I secured a cutlery tray to the shelf.  utilized unused space and solves question where to put knives / forks / etc.

I glued a narrow piece of 1/4" plywood inside one of the kitchen cabinet doors to accept cuphooks (bbq tongs, spatula, etc.)
None of these are expensive and all could easily be done by manufacturer, but few trailers in hybrid category provide useful storage - just storage. 
GreatWhiteNorth
Parking Heckler

Camping somewhere north of you

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »

+1. Getting a new camper is the perfect opportunity to clean out all of the unused stuff that you thought you might need so you put it in the trailer, but really don't use. It's amazing how much stuff accumulates over the years. But even so, it still takes a while to get everything the way you want. We're on our eighth season with our camper, and I'm still rearranging things: putting the most-often used stuff in the easy to access places, and the least used stuff in the back -- or removing it completely.

One thing that I did to maximize the amount of storage was to convert the wardrobe to shelves. We never have any hanging clothes, so I removed the rod and installed some wire shelving. This is where we keep the bedding, and there's still room for a small upright vacuum cleaner.

Geoff & Jill
and Sierra, the littlest camper
Goodbye Yukon. We'll miss you.
'05 TravelStar 19CK Hybrid Silver Pickup Grey '04 Chevy Silverado Z71

'00 GMC Sonoma '01 Dutchmen 1006D
Winnipeg, Manitoba Manitoba  Canada Manitoba Parks and Natural Areas
Kiwi Camper
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 09:46:30 AM »

I have found it easiest to be organized in my storage.  I have a HTT so my storage options may be a bit different.  I keep the poles for my beds on the cub side of the passthrough storage in the front of my HTT, I also keep my outdoor rug there as well.  On the street side of the passthrough I keep my charcoal grill, charcoal & charcoal starter.  Inside, under the dinnette I keep the RVQ (which I have never used), 2 crock pots (one large and one small) and my griddle.  My water hose, water pressure regulator, & water filter are kept in a milk crate iside the HTT under the table on top of my door mat in case I didn't get all of the water out while unhooking the water.  I have 2 tubs (also kept inside the HTT under the table) 1 has all of my tacky lights, outside decorations (plastic flamingos, solar bug lights etc.) , and table cloths the other tub is full of Halloween decorations.  My camping group has a HUGE Halloween campout and we really decorate.  My chairs and smaller tables are stored in the shower along with my ice cream maker (I should really store that somewhere else, but where?) Luckily my HTT has a place for the dump pipe (poopie pipe) so it is stored outside. My rubber gloves (pink) that I use for handling the sewer pipe are kept in my Expy  Ford.
After a few trips you will figure out what fits best for your needs.  It probably took me one camping season to get everything organized best for me.
THe key is keep everything lean - if you don't use it, don't take it.

Melany
Brentwood, TN
2007 - Ford Expedition (Roxy)
2013 - Rockwood Roo 23SS -(Freddie Roo)
TyroneWoods
Handle Cranker

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 12:13:39 PM »

We came from a Santa fa popup to are jayco 19H, When we came home we parked them side by side and off load one into the other and surprised at how mush stuff we had in the popup. So storage for use like most other is an ever changing process, My Wife is much more about storage i'm a little more lack but do appricated what she has done. We looked at OZ and other modes and to date this is the short list of what we do. On big short fall of the 19H is only one outside storage door and it is small.

- Outside curb side enter: all of the stuff to level power and setup the trailer, including mats, dinning tent, fising rods etc.
- Sofa we keep camp kitchen, outside light, blue bin, outside camp stove
- wardrobe we did wire shelfs this year and it kick but, all of the cloths and bedding
- Dinette sleeping bags, crock pot, dutch oven, van
- we keep tp, black tank chemicals in the compartment that has are pump.
- Truck we keep camping chairs could go in the main trailer for travel but a pain to take out to setup, Weber and all the gear to BBQ in a bin like OZ, Bikes X3, Kayak and gear, This is something that works for us since we have an 8 year old we give him a plastic tote of his own he can bring what ever he wants to play with but it must all fit in the tote per packed allways in it is Ladder ball, Boco ball, frisbee's, soccor ball, bike helmets, and ball gloves X3, he then fills what ever he is into at the time.

We are still

2011 Jayco 19H, TV 09 Nisson Titan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: