April 20, 2014, 03:36:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Clear Panels to cover Screen Doors  (Read 3091 times)
TooTents
Chocks-a-lot

Midwest Tri State Area IA, SD, NE

« on: January 20, 2012, 09:20:07 AM »

I was reading a post and viewing pics on here the other day and saw one post where a member had fashioned some clear acrylic or plexi glass panels for the screen doors on their hybrid. This was done so that they could leave the main door open yet still keep the ac or heat on. I'd like to do something similar for another reason, which is to protect the screen from our dogs paws. I can't seem to find the post now though. Can anyone point me to it or if you've done something similar post a picture with some info on what you did to make and secure the panels.

Thanks

USA when I get Too Tense, I go out in my Two Tents ArizonaIowa
[Httblue]  Pickup White
Viking 2460ST - Sold
HTT '11 Surveyor SP234T
Chevy Siverado Chevrolet
LUV2CAMP
Geodude
Sr. Moderator
PUX is my life

Ottawa, Ontario

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 10:01:12 AM »

You can do it using Velcro or in some cases there is a small ridge top and bottom and you can press fit a thin piece of any number of types of plastics (I'd ask about one that is the most scratch, er, paw resistant) into that space.  I have done it both ways and either works. 

2012 Heartland Greystone 33CK, 38' triple-slide 5er
2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7L Power Stroke diesel, short box, crew cab, 4WD + Husky 16K EZ Roller 5th wheel hitch

Issue 16.1 of PopUp Times magazine is out! Get in on the action, subscribe today!  And we're now available in the iTunes store!"
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »

This was done so that they could leave the main door open yet still keep the ac or heat on. I'd like to do something similar for another reason, which is to protect the screen from our dogs paws.

This was one of the first mods I did several years ago to our hybrid as we leave the outer door open all the time, no matter what the weather may be, only closing it when we turn in for the night.  When we traded the hybrid for our current travel trailer I simply moved the panels over to our new trailer even though the lower one wasn't quite long enough and leaves a bit of an air gap.  Since then we also now have a four legged pal camping with us and these panels do indeed prevent him from causing any damage to the door screening.  A tip - Lexan is more expensive than Plexiglass but is much more scratch resistant.  To build mine I cut pieces of bristle board to the exact shape I wanted the panels to be and took them to a local hardware store that custom cut the Lexan panels to the same shape ... that way I was assured they'd fit perfectly.  I leave mine in place all the time so they're attached with a combination of Velcro and screws but if you wanted to remove your's on a regular basis then Velcro alone would probably work as well.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
TooTents
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »

Thanks, Just what I was looking for.
 Oz - I think it was viewing your mods gallery where I saw the pic originally. Awesome work on all of your mods by the way. It gives me plenty of ideas to consider when outfitting our new hybrid.

Thanks again

[Httblue]  Pickup White
Viking 2460ST - Sold
HTT '11 Surveyor SP234T
Chevy Siverado Chevrolet
LUV2CAMP
JP campers
Parking Heckler

Pine Valley, NY

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 11:26:58 AM »

Here's mine, all friction fit except for the bottom edge which I used clear plastice glue just to hold it in place. All edges are squeezed into the door frame. Cut a template first, when that fits perfect, transfer it to the plexiglass/ lexan. Take your time!

UK Jim  USA Pam
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab
2014 Salem Hemisphere 327RES
dadmomh
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:51:02 PM »

Don't you love the aftermarket clear slide???  Really opens the area up.  I would love for DH to make some panels for the upper and lower parts of the door that are easily removable, but don't think it will fit into his schedule right now.  Maybe later. 

dadmomh Tennesee
dadh-'44 Wink
momh-'45  Shy
5 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy!
Biscuit and Lily now 8 mo old...and GROWING
We support responsibility - Spay/Neuter
2003 F-150 Crew Cab Ford w/Blue Ox 1000 and Prodigy
2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
Still "hybriders" at heart
TooTents
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »

Thanks to the mild weather, I was able to get in the camper this afternoon. I looked at the screen door frames and took some measurements. I think it will be no problem at all doing the friction fit panels. I may go with something opaque at the bottom half and go with clear or tinted acrylic on the top. In my line of work (Commercial Cabinet Shop) I have a wide variety of scrap materials at my disposal to try a couple of different things. Will probably wait until spring to actually do this mod but will post some pics when it's done.

[Httblue]  Pickup White
Viking 2460ST - Sold
HTT '11 Surveyor SP234T
Chevy Siverado Chevrolet
LUV2CAMP
KJcachers
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 10:14:24 AM »

nice idea! just what I need another mod to put on the list!
jaybird
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 07:56:41 PM »

TravTrl Long Blue Just finished doing this mod to tt today. I used lexan more scratch resistant and less likely to yellow with time. I placed mine on the outside of the door inside the frame against the rubber strip holding the screen in place.Holding it in place with turn buttons picked up at my local lowes store. It's in three pieces allowing me to easily remove any or all the pannels when I want the extra ventilation. Will try to post pics later. P.S. Have not seen this mod on any tt in my area thanks to all who posted here for another great mod idea.

, 2003 ford f150 7700

chugger22
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »

This was one of the best mods I have ever done. I love the fact we can camp in the winter or summer and leave the big door open. It allows us to peek inside at the little one and see what she is up to. I too used Lexon and had it cut at lowes. The guy cutting missed the mark and I had to fine tune it when I got home. Don't fret over cutting this stuff yourself either, it's very forgiving. I just laid a straight edge on it and make about 10 scores down the side and then it breaks away clean. I even replaced the slider with clear lexon. it's great for letting natural light in during the day. Mine are removable with some mirror/picture frame clips but we find that 90% of the time we are either running the air or the heater so seldom do they get taken out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: