July 28, 2014, 10:38:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancestry.com  (Read 2135 times)
dadmomh
Back-er-in-er

« on: March 25, 2012, 04:15:58 PM »

Anybody ever get seriously into Ancestry.com??  My dear cousin and I are getting together next week for a "girls week" and have some questions and nobody living to answer them.  We were wondering if this is a good and legit site.  Wouldn't mind paying the $12.95 per month after the "Free 14 day trial!, but they want all the billing info before you can see much of anything worthwhile.  I'm always hesitant that it's not quite as advertised.  Opinions??

dadmomh Tennesee
dadh-'44 Wink
momh-'45  Shy
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy!
Biscuit and Lily now 8 mo old...and GROWING
We support responsibility - Spay/Neuter
2003 F-150 Crew Cab Ford w/Blue Ox 1000 and Prodigy
2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
Still "hybriders" at heart
TooManyTents
Parking Heckler

Willamette Valley, Oregon

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 09:06:41 PM »

I have not made time yet to be "seriously" interested, but I expect I will at some point.

Yes, it's legit.

Dave Oregon - 1999 Coleman Cheyenne   2003.5 Coleman Utah  PopUp Grey  Pickup White ---->  2011 Ever-Lite 27RB TravTrl Long Green  Pickup White
beemerphile1
Parking Heckler

NE Ohio

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:49:16 AM »

My wife likes the site.  She is on her free trial.  I don't think she plans to join past the free trial but she is having fun looking up her history for now.

Tim
17 nights camped in 2014
30 nights camped in 2013
33 nights camped in 2012
36 nights camped in 2011

Momma said; "If you argue with a fool, it makes it hard to tell which one is the fool".

2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L towing 2009 Aliner Sport  Chalet/AlinerCar Blue
1998 Ford E150 towing 2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900 TravTrl Long Blue Van Blue
1996 BMW R1100GS
2005 Trek Madone
1994 Burley tandem
dadmomh
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 05:32:49 AM »

One of my concerns is that to start the Free Trial, you have to give them all the billing info for when you actually start the 6 months, or whatever.  I've dealt with places before - like a not to be mentioned internet provider - that it takes forever and a day to get the billing stopped and a refund if needed.  They will show a smidge of info, but then that's as far as you can go.  I'm just leary that I'll end up paying for something that I can't get stopped if and when I want to.

dadmomh Tennesee
dadh-'44 Wink
momh-'45  Shy
Sam, you were the best!
blw2
Back-er-in-er

Jacksonville, FL

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:06:16 AM »

I think that they are a legit site, and I wouldn't worry......
but my experience is second hand through my sister.  She really got into it a couple years ago and spent a lot of time taking our tree way back accross the pond.
I am under the impression though, that a lot of the branches were a little tentative in terms of how certain she is that it's correct.  Lots of dead ends or gaps in the info.
Reminds me, I need to ask her about it.... I was after her to let me know when she got it cleaned up that I wanted to pay to get it printed into a nice book, poster, or something.  A nice keepsake for her.  the problem is that for a book, about the only imagry she would have for most of it is things like sensus records or military discharge paperwork that has been scanned in.  Not a lot of photographs or anything out there of the poor masses of long ago. So it's really just a list of names.....

Brad
DW Julie
DS, '05
DD, '08
DD, '11
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers
dadmomh
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 09:08:24 AM »

Thx for the info.  We're still looking into this possibility, but neither of us want to end up knowing nothing more than we already know.....which isn't much. 

dadmomh Tennesee
dadh-'44 Wink
momh-'45  Shy
Sam, you were the best!
stumps
PUXaholic

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »

just my two cents...

in my experience, there isn't anything on ancestory.com that you can't find through traditional means of research, and most public libraries have historical and local sections with tons of records. 

I researched my family back to pre 1700 (and they are still in Virginia!) all without ancestory.com. 

I don't know what the commitment would be, but I'd only use it if I knew I could get out when I wanted. 

JMHO

Me-68 Virginia   Wife-66  UK
Boy-94, Girls-94,99,03

Eureka tent - between campers

2009 Jayco 1207 - Thanks Fretz RV!

2004 Jayco Eagle 12FSO

States Camped in - Florida North Carolina Virginia West Virginia Pennsylvania Deleware New York Vermont New Hampshire Maine Illinois South Dakota Maryland Ohio Indiana Wyoming Iowa

Eat at Mary's Hot Tamales, Magnolia Ave. Knoxville, TN!
dadmomh
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »

The downside to this might be that I live in TN, my cousin lives in TX and the info we are interested in is probably in GA, FL or NV.  Any thoughts on how to accomplish this with the distances involved???

PS What makes this so intriguing is that our grandfather MAY have had a second family no one knew about OR was involved in some sort of slightly illegal stuff.  Inquiring minds want to know.  This is a definite "2- glasser", maybe 3.  Just too many things in this past history we know don't add up. 

dadmomh Tennesee
dadh-'44 Wink
momh-'45  Shy
Sam, you were the best!
P.Dieter
Handle Cranker

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 04:30:36 PM »

my wife is addicted to a.com. Very legit site.

One thing you get through it that you won't get on your own is access to all the other folks who are doing tree research that intersects your own. there's lots of opportunity to learn things about your family that you would probaly not find in an part time search on your own.

We have actually reconnected with some second cousins (grandsons of grandfather's brothers) one of which lives 1/2hr away that we didn't know about. Lot's of entertainment value to be found at the website.

Martya115
Handle Cranker

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 04:28:02 PM »

1. a lot of libraries (at least here in RI) have access to Ancestry for free.  You can do a lot of research there and it also kind of limits you to when you have time to go to the library.  You can get real caught up in it.

2. Another site that is real good and free is www.familysearch.org.  I used that a lot and it was very useful in my research.

3. Keep good notes, you will find many conflicts in information (like birth dates), some because person is not the one you want and some because someone wrote down the wrong info.

4. Last but not least write down what you search for and where otherwise you end up researching for the same information, in the same place six months down the road.

Have fun with it.  Have a plan go back as far as you can or get as much information as you can.  Either way have fun.

Marty

1997 Thor Dutchman
TV 2004 Toyota Highlander
Popup Camping since 2004
martya115@yahoo.com
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »

If you decide to cancel the service, be sure to do it in writing and send a copy of the cancellation notice to you C/C company. That puts the responsibility on them to stop allowing charges to come from that company. If they charge you again, simply call your C/C co and dispute it. There will be no question.

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
dadmomh
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 09:21:08 AM »

Thanks again for the suggestions.  Our "girls week" was great!  One of the evenings we sat out on their screened porch with perfect temps, perfect breeze, perfect wine.  Lots of "I didn't know that!".  About 11:00 her DH came in from work and was surprised to see us still sitting, talking about family and still sipping.  Stumbled onto a few things each of us didn't know and mostly just had a perfect evening of spending time together.  DS#2 is getting into some family history on the "other side" and I'm anxious to see how that goes. 

dadmomh Tennesee
dadh-'44 Wink
momh-'45  Shy
Sam, you were the best!
VWCampers
Back-er-in-er

Rochester, New York

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 04:06:01 PM »

I have been using Ancestry for years.  I never would have been able to do the research without it.  It's a small price to pay per month for a really great hobby...um--obsession.

2003.5 Coleman Carmel
2002 VW Bus - TV
2009 VW Tiguan
1973 Paceship P14
Mom (Roberta) & Dad (Norm)
Son (Alex)-15 & Daughter (Margie)-12  PopUp Grey Van Grey

"A clean camp is a happy camp."

Nights camped in 2013 - 16
Nights camped in 2012 - 26
Nights camped in 2011 - 20 - way too low!
Nights camped in 2010 - 27
Nights camped in 2009 - 31
Nights camped in 2008 - 33
Nights camped in 2007 - 32
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: