September 30, 2014, 01:46:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: folding up bunk ends?  (Read 3645 times)
01YZF6
Chocks-a-lot

Dothan, AL

« on: April 10, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »

So we just figured out we do not know how to properly close our HTT bunk ends properly!
the PO did it for us and we were too busy with the hitch/truck setup to pay attention...lol

so i am realizing that he may not have known what he was doing either, and the skin of the outer door is separated from its LIP at the bottom back.

opening up was a breeze, but did not reveal how to close it up as easily.  when we tried it we saw HOW the PO pushed the skin out.  the mattress did not fold up automatically with the door.

2000 Aero Cub C23 _ owners manual is useless for this task too.

00' Aero Cub C230 - 08' Trailblazer
JT
Handle Cranker

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 06:15:32 PM »

Im not familiar with your Aero Cub but with my shamrock i fold the mattress up and bungee cord it on the inside then i fold the tent and close and stuff till its not on the seals and close then check one side at a time before i latch it up ... Hope this helps some  Mississippi Hybrid Silver Pickup Grey

2008 Coachmen Clipper 127ST & 2011 GMC Sierra EX Cab 5.3
Nights camped
2009  16    Tent/Popup
2010  21     Popup
2011  30     Popup/Hybrid
2012  11     Hybrid
2014           We Bought a Popup
01YZF6
Chocks-a-lot

Dothan, AL

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »

thanks for the reply...
I think the only issue I am focused on is HOW the mattresses are supposed to stow before closing.
I am worried about over stuffing the door and making it bulge or press on it any more than it should.

DW does not want to remove them at all for travel.

teachjp
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:36:57 AM »

I am not familiar with your particular model either.  On my Trail Lite, the front matress folds once, into the trailer, on top of the non-folding part.  It is held in place by snaps that keep it place.  The rear mattress fold twice, but is held in place wiyh snaps also.  Once the mattresses are folded, the rest of the canvas folds in over the mattress.  If your matresses fold it should be pretty obvious where they fold.  Once youget it, it will be easy!
Hope this helps.
JP
  Van Grey   Hybrid  USA  UK  Pennsylvania

John and Cathy
Just outside Philly
03 Trail Lite Bantam
01 Chevy Astro
dadmomh
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:08:54 AM »

Mattress on our ROO also folds and has straps that snap to hold it in place.  Would imagine your's either folds or is in sections.  You do have to make sure every single piece of tent is well inside the end before you close up.  Most often, DH and I do it together, although he can do it by himself.  Chuck S has pictures on either this site or RV Net showing step by step how to close up and get all those ends inside.  It's not gonna look nice and neat on the inside of the trailer, so don't even worry about that.  The tent fabric will just sorta hang there, but that's correct.  Suggest you do a search for "closing bunkends" or similar and see if you can find it.  Or, feel sure someone will give you the exact link.  It's a bit awkward and looks messy but just stuff and close slowly and keep on until every bit is tucked inside.  It'll get easier as you get some practice.

dadmomh Tennesee
dadh-'44 Wink
momh-'45  Shy
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy!
Biscuit and Lily now 1 year and wonderful!
We support responsibility - Spay/Neuter
2003 F-150 Crew Cab Ford w/Blue Ox 1000 and Prodigy
2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
Still "hybriders" at heart
Kiwi Camper
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:36:18 AM »

I fold mine like I fold the corners of a gift when I am wrapping it.  It is important to make sure that everything is tucked in completely or you won't get the seal needed to keep the water etc out.

Melany
Brentwood, TN
2007 - Ford Expedition (Roxy)
2013 - Rockwood Roo 23SS -(Freddie Roo)
01YZF6
Chocks-a-lot

Dothan, AL

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:01:26 AM »

thanks for the replies....

I will look closely at the matts next time we close up...

GreatWhiteNorth
Parking Heckler

Camping somewhere north of you

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »

Our mattresses fold to 1/3 and 2/3 of the width. The front one is held in place agains the closed bunk end with bungees, and the back one slides in place behind the bathroom wall agains the rear bunk end. It's just the two of us, so we completely removed the rear mattress since we just use the back bunk for storage. When closing up the bunks, we fold as much of the tenting toward the middle of the bunk as possible, and as the bunk end is closed, we keep pushing the tenting in place to avoid it being pinched in the weather seal. Once the bunk is closed and latched, the poles are removed and stowed, and the mattress is bungeed into place. It takes about as long to do as it takes describing it.

Geoff & Jill
and Sierra, the littlest camper
Goodbye Yukon. We'll miss you.
'05 TravelStar 19CK Hybrid Silver Pickup Grey '04 Chevy Silverado Z71

'00 GMC Sonoma '01 Dutchmen 1006D
Winnipeg, Manitoba Manitoba  Canada Manitoba Parks and Natural Areas
shum
PUXaholic

Real trucks have NO spark plugs!

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 03:30:21 AM »

On my Antigua#s the matresses had to be removed, then the door closed making sure all tenting was pulled in away from the seals and then the matress folded up behind the door and secured.  Seriously on the front bunk of both units it was a serious PITA so we usually stored the front matress with the rear side bunk matress.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 4x4 CC PSD Ford
2007 KZ Outdooorsman 2505 QSS-F TravTlr Green
shum
SwingingBonnie DW
DS & DD
"don't panic"  Douglas Adams
FYBO II, III & IV!
Ontario Provincial Parks Advocate
KJcachers
Handle Cranker

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 06:27:36 AM »

I have never seen a hybrid where the mattresses fold up with the door. You are going to have to do some folding or removing of the mattresses to get the doors to close properly. If you want a camper where the beds stay intact then a Travel Trailer is your choice, not a hybrid!  Big Smile
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:28:05 AM by KJcachers » Logged
tlbj6142
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 06:47:18 AM »

Other than the comments listed above, I would make a point of double checking the seal area (especially the lower corners) of the hatches as you close them.  Make sure that there isn't any tenting in that space and make sure any of the "special" flaps are in their proper location before closing hatches for good.  For example, on our Roo there is a small piece of fabric near the hinges that needs to be positioned correctly before closing the hatch.

Camper:  Hybrid Orange 2012 Rockwood Roo 233S
TV:   SUV White 2008 Ford Expedition with 3.31 rear-end ratio Angry
baldy
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 05:20:32 PM »

This is how I do it.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 hitched w/w EQ to a Rockwood 8306SS slowed by Ford IBC!
We and Miss D ('01) w/w the fur kid, 5 year old mutt!!
2010: 63 nights!!
2011: 65 nights!!
2012: 24 and counting
baldy
 Canada
tlbj6142
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 04:51:35 AM »

I noticed you didn't use the snaps on the side of the bed.  However, after thinking about a bit, I realized that the tenting probably holds the bed in half (well thirds), so the side strap/snap is not needed.  That's a good time saver.  We are going to have to make 3-5 "one-nighters" on our summer trip out west, so I've been mentally preparing a list of things we can do, or not do, to make setup/teardown quicker for those stops.

FWIW, for a very brief moment in the video you can see the little flap in the bottom of the seal area that often gets in the way.  I always make sure that isn't stuck in the seal/hinge area.

Camper:  Hybrid Orange 2012 Rockwood Roo 233S
TV:   SUV White 2008 Ford Expedition with 3.31 rear-end ratio Angry
baldy
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 06:47:36 AM »

The key is just that, make sure there is nothing in the seal area.  However, I learning that it really doesn't matter due to water ingress no matter what I do!  Front bunk is getting wet.  I am thinking of placing a cover over the front of the trailer to keep all rain out.  The back bunk isn't an issue.  I think that if the front of the trailer was vertical and not tilted back it would be better.  I would like to see how the new designs are working.  They are completely different.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 hitched w/w EQ to a Rockwood 8306SS slowed by Ford IBC!
We and Miss D ('01) w/w the fur kid, 5 year old mutt!!
2010: 63 nights!!
2011: 65 nights!!
2012: 24 and counting
baldy
 Canada
CraigK
Handle Cranker

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 09:06:26 PM »

Mine front is better now, factory sent out a second seal for the fold out bunk.
It pushes against the main body seal, seal on seal. I am sure it was an after thought
for those that complain day and night! Oh, it is a 2010
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: