December 22, 2014, 04:00:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Black and Grey Tank  (Read 7244 times)
Kiwi Camper
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 07:47:18 AM »

I always dump after every camping trip, I don't see the need to leave anything in the tanks between trips.  If you are worried that there will not be enough water in the black tank to clear out the solids  Dead wash your dishes using a dishpan and add dump that water into the commode.
I also have a backwash elbow bracket that I attach to my sewer pipe and once the black water has stopped flowing I attach the water hose and let it run until the water starts coming out again.  This is the only way I know to make sure that the tank is empty.
After I have dumped the black tank I add some chemicals (Odorloss) and a few gallons of water for storage.

Melany
Brentwood, TN
2007 - Ford Expedition (Roxy)
2013 - Rockwood Roo 23SS -(Freddie Roo)
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »

I always dump after every camping trip, I don't see the need to leave anything in the tanks between trips.

After I have dumped the black tank I add some chemicals (Odorloss) and a few gallons of water for storage.

I dump and clean my tanks after each trip also, as much just because I can, using my Poop Cannon to macerate and pump black / grey water into my house sewer stack.  However, I use the Geo Method which manages the tanks for exactly what they are - temporary holding tanks.  In your case you're wasting your energy dumping after each trip as Odorlos requires time to promote an environment in which "good" bacteria can flourish and destroy "bad" bacteria ... by dumping after each trip you're not giving it that time.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
Kiwi Camper
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 04:17:02 AM »

In your case you're wasting your energy dumping after each trip as Odorlos requires time to promote an environment in which "good" bacteria can flourish and destroy "bad" bacteria ... by dumping after each trip you're not giving it that time.
[/quote]

What should I use instead?  My camping trips are usually a minimum of 3 nights 4 days.  Is there another additive that would serve me better?

Melany
Brentwood, TN
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 05:54:32 AM »

What should I use instead?  My camping trips are usually a minimum of 3 nights 4 days.  Is there another additive that would serve me better?

I used Odorlos myself for awhile with our previous hybrid but once I invested in a FloJet Macerator Pump and had the ability to service my tanks at home I had no reason to not do this after returning home from each trip so I ended up in the same situation - not giving the Odorlos not enough time to work.  I'd suspect that most trailer owners just use one of the countless available chemical tank treatments from companies like Thetford, Dometic, etc, which are available in both liquid and packet form and which can be purchased just about anywhere.  I've tried a few of them but find the heavy chemical smell irritating and I'd sometimes still get some tank smell Dead so not long after we bought our Spree I switched to the aforementioned Geo Method and find it works just fine.  It's economical, rarely do I ever experience any tank odour, and because it's based on common household laundry products there's no heavy chemical smell.  You might want to give it a try as you can always return to more conventional tank treatments if you're not satisfied with the results.  The only caution I'd offer is to make sure you flush the tank well before introducing any bleach into it and should you decide to later return to using conventional tank treatments make sure you flush the tank well to get rid of any bleach to prevent it from mixing with any other chemicals.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:47:16 AM by Oz and Us » Logged

Oz Mods Gallery

TyroneWoods
Handle Cranker

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 07:27:04 AM »

OZ what store stock Calgon in Canada? Have been looking for it tried:
- Metro
- Walmart
- Home Depoit
- Canadian Tire
- Home Hardware
- Loblaws

2011 Jayco 19H, TV 09 Nisson Titan
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 07:37:37 AM »

OZ what store stock Calgon in Canada?

Yeah, it's tough to find but a discount grocery store here in Burlington (just around the corner from Shum) called Rob's No Frills sells it so that's where I get mine.

Oz Mods Gallery

bikendan
Back-er-in-er

Marin Redwoods "Redwoods Roo"

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2012, 07:38:10 AM »

with Odorlos, i go weeks before i dump the black tank. as Oz said, if you always dump after only 3-4 days, you're barely giving the Odorlos time to work.

Dan-Firefighter
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur
Zoe-The Golden Fetching Machine(RIP)
Hybrid Orange 2007 Roo 23SS
Chevrolet 2007 Avalanche
California Napa, Cal.
Washington Camano Island, Wa.
shum
PUXaholic

Real trucks have NO spark plugs!

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 09:16:29 AM »

I just use Tide with "Bleach" in powder form and lots of water.  Mix up a gallon jug of it with a pretty heavy dose of it and add that to about 3 gallons of water in the tank.  No real complaints, but as usual YMMV.

With the KZ in the drive every once in a while I'll give the tanks a good flushing between the Flojet and the wand down the toilet. 

Lot's of water though is the real secret, don't skimp on it.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 4x4 CC PSD Ford
2007 KZ Outdooorsman 2505 QSS-F TravTlr Green
shum
SwingingBonnie DW
DS & DD
"don't panic"  Douglas Adams
FYBO II, III & IV!
Ontario Provincial Parks Advocate
Snow
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 12:09:08 PM »

- Metro
- Walmart
- Home Depoit
- Canadian Tire
- Home Hardware
- Loblaws

I cleaned out Home Hardware in Parry Sound when I was camping up there a couple weeks ago ..  it is hard to find..

Craig & Family & the Beagle
2005 Outback 21RS
2012 Hemi Powered Dodge Ram Quad Cab
TyroneWoods
Handle Cranker

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 04:45:24 AM »

I just use Tide with "Bleach" in powder form and lots of water.  Mix up a gallon jug of it with a pretty heavy dose of it and add that to about 3 gallons of water in the tank.  No real complaints, but as usual YMMV.

With the KZ in the drive every once in a while I'll give the tanks a good flushing between the Flojet and the wand down the toilet. 

Lot's of water though is the real secret, don't skimp on it.

So Shum is this what you use to clean your tank or as a general odour care?

2011 Jayco 19H, TV 09 Nisson Titan
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2012, 04:51:28 AM »

So Shum is this what you use to clean your tank or as a general odour care?

There is no "or" ... it's the same thing. Wink

Oz Mods Gallery

miatared
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2012, 06:06:54 AM »

- Metro
- Walmart
- Home Depoit
- Canadian Tire
- Home Hardware
- Loblaws
I am in Pickering, just East of T.O. and I can find it at Loblaws.

Ask a clerk - I did - a few times - and they started stocking it.

Going on our 3rd summer with Calgon and we love it. We also do many long weekends, when we leave we dump at the campground, put it the 'mixture' of Calgon and when travelling back home it 'coats' the inside of the holding tank when stored for a week or so.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 06:11:28 AM by miatared » Logged

D&D
Pickering, ON
2010 Sabre 31 REDS-6 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 SuperCab XLT

++     God only created so many perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair ++
Kiwi Camper
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2012, 07:31:15 AM »

[http://www.drugstore.com/calgon-water-softener/qxp78736?catid=184416

Is this the stuff?  It seems expensive.  Maybe not?

Thank you all so much for your help, I am really learning a lot about something that I thought I already had covered.  You guys are so helpful!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 04:52:45 AM by Kiwi Camper » Logged

Melany
Brentwood, TN
Between Trips
PUX is my life

North Texas

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2012, 09:29:52 AM »

I use something similar Camping World was selling during the time they ran out of Odorlos....just a shot after dumping and all is well. Since I usually only empty the black tank after each trip rather than flush it out, any remaining contents will be consumed by the good bacteria until the next trip. I used to do the Geo Method but for me it got old mixing various items to "clean" the tank when all I really wanted was to prevent odors inside the trailer.

USA  2007 KZ Spree 320BHS  TravTrl Long Black SUV Grey  2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD  Texas
 PopUp Green 1976 Starcraft Starmaster 8     September 11     1999 Keystone Cabana 1700  Hybrid
photo gallery
rdwallace47
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 05:24:52 PM »

I used Odorlos myself for awhile with our previous hybrid but once I invested in a FloJet Macerator Pump and had the ability to service my tanks at home I had no reason to not do this after returning home from each trip so I ended up in the same situation - not giving the Odorlos not enough time to work.  I'd suspect that most trailer owners just use one of the countless available chemical tank treatments from companies like Thetford, Dometic, etc, which are available in both liquid and packet form and which can be purchased just about anywhere.  I've tried a few of them but find the heavy chemical smell irritating and I'd sometimes still get some tank smell Dead so not long after we bought our Spree I switched to the aforementioned Geo Method and find it works just fine.  It's economical, rarely do I ever experience any tank odour, and because it's based on common household laundry products there's no heavy chemical smell.  You might want to give it a try as you can always return to more conventional tank treatments if you're not satisfied with the results.  The only caution I'd offer is to make sure you flush the tank well before introducing any bleach into it and should you decide to later return to using conventional tank treatments make sure you flush the tank well to get rid of any bleach to prevent it from mixing with any other chemicals.

is the flojet what you refer to as the poop cannon?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: