October 20, 2014, 03:19:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What to look for when buying used?  (Read 1542 times)
StampCamper
Handle Cranker

« on: June 18, 2012, 05:26:39 PM »

DH has been scouring CL for a used hybrid...and he's found one he wants to go look at.  A 2005 Jayco 23F.  What kinds of things should we be looking for?  Especially interested in uncovering any hidden water/mold damage.  Thanks guys for your tips!

Jim, Jenny, & Justin
  PopUp Green  Pickup Red
2004 Rockwood 1940LTD
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:20:43 AM »

A 2005 Jayco 23F.  What kinds of things should we be looking for?

When the hybrid concept was first introduced the bed platform closure system consisted of just a couple of simple screws with a knob on each that when tightened down would force a simple rubber seal around the edge of the platform against the body of the trailer.  Jayco attempted to improve on this design with their own keylock system that proved to be just as problematic, especially when the lock itself would break internally and not allow the platform to be locked in position -

It was a lousy solution to the problem and eventually Jayco switched to using the cargo latch style of closure system found on pretty well every hybrid manufactured today.  Personally, I'd avoid any hybrid that doesn't use this type of closure as any other is an invitation to leakage past the bed platform seals.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
01YZF6
Chocks-a-lot

Dothan, AL

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 06:11:38 AM »

like I was told when we were looking.... a thorough inspection should take an hour or better.
make sure they have everything ready to be tested.  from stove, to a/c, to water systems, and electrical throughout!

look in, on, over, and under every cabinet, move carpet swatches, lift seats, move mattresses.
bring a flashlight, operate every piece of equipment, convert it from setup and travel mode (to check doors, seals, etc.)

check the tires for wear/cracking.  ask for service records, and ask them what things they have done to maintain it.  let them tell you !

make sure all lights inside and out work.  including travel lights !

00' Aero Cub C230 - 08' Trailblazer
bikendan
Back-er-in-er

Marin Redwoods "Redwoods Roo"

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »

you can Google for a list of things to look for when shopping for a used RV.
the only thing different on a hybrid, from other RVs, is the canvas bunk ends. these should be the first thing to look closely at, especially the hinge area. this is where most water accumulates when there are leaks in the bunk doors. it can pool and soak the sill, the area underneath, the bottom of the bunk door. look at the seals closely and check the canvas at where it attaches to the trailer.

other than that, a hybrid is no different than other RV trailers and will have the same things to look at.

Dan-Firefighter
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur
Zoe-The Golden Fetching Machine(RIP)
Hybrid Orange 2007 Roo 23SS
Chevrolet 2007 Avalanche
California Napa, Cal.
Washington Camano Island, Wa.
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:56:06 AM »

DH has been scouring CL for a used hybrid...and he's found one he wants to go look at.  A 2005 Jayco 23F.

I'm curious ... in checking Jayco Archives I don't see a 2005 Jayco 23F hybrid in the model lineup. Question

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
StampCamper
Handle Cranker

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 03:51:41 PM »

DH has been scouring CL for a used hybrid...and he's found one he wants to go look at.  A 2005 Jayco 23F.

I'm curious ... in checking Jayco Archives I don't see a 2005 Jayco 23F hybrid in the model lineup. Question

Yes, we've figured out that it's the 23B based on the pics in the listing showing the interior layout.

Jim, Jenny, & Justin
  PopUp Green  Pickup Red
2004 Rockwood 1940LTD
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500
Between Trips
PUX is my life

North Texas

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:18:17 PM »

What kinds of things should we be looking for?

Make sure the appliances work. I'd ask the seller to fire up the fridge and water heater so both are at temperature when you come to look. Worst he/she can say is 'no'. Check the tires for spider cracks in the tread and on the sidewall. Ask seller when they were last replaced and when the brakes and wheel bearings were last serviced.

Especially interested in uncovering any hidden water/mold damage.

Check for any discoloration or sponginess in either the ceiling or the floor. Check the outside storage compartments for moisture or rotted wood. Take a look under the trailer for same. Above all, trust your nose...the smell of mildew is unmistakeable. The smell of air freshener may be an attempt to mask it.

USA  2007 KZ Spree 320BHS  TravTrl Long Black SUV Grey  2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD  Texas
 PopUp Green 1976 Starcraft Starmaster 8     September 11     1999 Keystone Cabana 1700  Hybrid
photo gallery
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: