November 21, 2014, 02:10:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: To drain, or not to drain  (Read 5269 times)
SteelersFan
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 04:54:58 PM »

Since we haven't been camping much over the past 3 years, except for our July Watkins Glen Finger Lakes Wine fest, I just leave the FW empty and fill it about 1/2 full the day before we leave for the reasons that you're never more than 25 ft. from a bathroom wherever you are. DW loves that idea and we utilize the bathroom every year to the Finger Lakes. When we open the camper in the spring, the book says to use the 1/4 cup of bleach so I've always done that. I guess I'm just sort of paranoid, even though it is only used for dishes, toilet and showers. We have bottled water for everything else. Maybe I'll stop doing the bleach thing in the spring if everyone feels it's unnecessary.

Scott, Karen & Kyle
Lancaster Pennsylvania  USA

'00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo  Pickup Blue
'00 Jayco Kiwi 17A[hb]
Bal Leveller - Proud Owner
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 05:39:21 PM »

When we open the camper in the spring, the book says to use the 1/4 cup of bleach so I've always done that. I guess I'm just sort of paranoid, even though it is only used for dishes, toilet and showers. We have bottled water for everything else. Maybe I'll stop doing the bleach thing in the spring if everyone feels it's unnecessary.

When I said earlier that "I've never treated any water that goes into our trailer's fresh water tank ..." I meant during the course of the camping season.  I still sanitize the system at the beginning of the season when I'm de-winterizing and wouldn't suggest to anyone that they "stop doing the bleach thing in the spring" as sanitizing the trailer's entire water system after a long winter's nap should be part of anyone's de-winterizing routine.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 06:16:15 PM »

Our owners manual recommends sanitizing in the fall as part of winterizing, too.  IMO it's a good idea to help prevent mold and funny-tasting water.   We've been nearby when someone had to drain a tank full of water that had gone bad and the stench was something else.  No, thanks.  It's not that big a deal to refill the tank and prime the system again.  It's a much bigger deal to have to sanitize the system again, especially at a campground.

I'm not sure where everyone is camping with chlorinated water.  Most places where we camp use well water which is not chlorinated.  Our water at home isn't chlorinated either.  Therefore, we drain our water tank to prevent algae from growing in it.

As for drinking park water, we haven't found any reason not to, so we do.  In ten years of camping, we've run across only two or three parks with water that tasted too bad to drink.  In those cases we had to put up with the crappy taste of bottled water, but as a rule we prefer to avoid buying water.  It's an unnecessary expense plus it takes up storage space. 

We use a drinking water system for the two of us that consists of eleven one-liter stainless steel water bottles and a carry bag that holds nine of them.  The other two are always in the front of the truck so we can get a drink while on the road.  The carry bag is kept handy by the tailgate of the truck so it's easy to put an empty bottle in the bag and grab a full one to have in the cab when we stop for gas or whatever.  We refill when we find good water (almost everywhere) about every two or three days.  This system has worked well for us for thousands of miles, so we won't be changing that soon either. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:18:45 PM by Spirit Deer » Logged

Rae, Fred, Sugar, and Minnesota

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)
indybp57
Handle Cranker

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 01:07:22 PM »

Our new Roo has an inline Pur filter but it only comes into play if we are connected to a city connection.  Has anyone tried putting a filtration device on their fresh water tank to kitchen sink line?  Would it create too much back pressure for the pump?

Chevrolet  SUV Green '05 Chevy Trailblazer
Dodge  Pickup Grey'04 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi
Hybrid Bronze 2013 Roo 183
Indiana Indiana  USA
2013 Nights camped: 27
2014 Nights camped: 30
dadmomh
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 01:38:33 PM »

We've not done the Pur inline, but did invest in the Pur that attaches to the faucet.  Makes a world of difference.  It's a quick and easy job.  The filter set-up and cartridge (maybe 2 cartridges, can't recall) at Sam's was about $40.  A box of 4 refill cartridges, also at Sam's, also right at $40.  One box of refills lasts us the whole season. 

BTW, we did not remove the filter system that is OEM on our ROO.  Still there and we just put in a new filter at the beginning of the season. 

dadmomh Tennesee
dadh-'44 Wink
momh-'45  Shy
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy!
Biscuit and Lily now 1 year and wonderful!
We support responsibility - Spay/Neuter
2003 F-150 Crew Cab Ford w/Blue Ox 1000 and Prodigy
2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
Still "hybriders" at heart
miatared
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »

Our new Roo has an inline Pur filter but it only comes into play if we are connected to a city connection. 

Are you sure of that? 

On mine (2011 - Shamrock 19 same as Roo) the filter - under the dinette seat - filters from either source: city or fresh water tank. Thank God it does, we love it. I buy replacement filters from Lowes. I replace it 2-3 times each season more or less, at $10 a pop it's worth it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:53:49 PM by miatared » Logged

D&D
Pickering, ON
2010 Sabre 31 REDS-6 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 SuperCab XLT

++     God only created so many perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair ++
dadmomh
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 07:11:33 AM »

Interesting thought....I thought the filter worked with both city and FW tank supplies.  Could be wrong - it's been known to happen

dadmomh Tennesee
dadh-'44 Wink
momh-'45  Shy
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy!
Biscuit and Lily now 1 year and wonderful!
We support responsibility - Spay/Neuter
2003 F-150 Crew Cab Ford w/Blue Ox 1000 and Prodigy
2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
Still "hybriders" at heart
bikendan
Back-er-in-er

Marin Redwoods "Redwoods Roo"

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 07:29:46 AM »

the one on my Roo 23SS works on both water sources.

Dan-Firefighter
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur
Zoe-The Golden Fetching Machine(RIP)
Hybrid Orange 2007 Roo 23SS
Chevrolet 2007 Avalanche
California Napa, Cal.
Washington Camano Island, Wa.
miataman
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »

Getting a little back to the topic, I added valves to the low point drains, replacing the caps.  Plow back to the drinking water topic, we carry two stainless thermos and a couple gallons of water from our home 5 filter cartridge, reverse osmosis system.  One gallon of cold water in the camper fridge at all times. 
indybp57
Handle Cranker

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 01:23:55 PM »

Interesting thought....I thought the filter worked with both city and FW tank supplies.  Could be wrong - it's been known to happen
I was wrong. The city water inlet and the pump outlet Y together right before the filter.  Guess I should get the cartridge installed.

Chevrolet  SUV Green '05 Chevy Trailblazer
Dodge  Pickup Grey'04 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi
Hybrid Bronze 2013 Roo 183
Indiana Indiana  USA
2013 Nights camped: 27
2014 Nights camped: 30
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: